Monday, February 10, 2014

Opportunities in Every Bottle

I have something wrong with me.

For almost three years I have been brewing my own beer. I have quite a bit of money invested in my setup and generally take great joy when a beer turns out great, and look to see how I can improve with each beer that didn't turn out as I had hoped it would. This winter I brewed about 25 gallons to keep me happy and warm, and so I would not have to make more outside (I have to boil my beer for about an hour and must do so outside). I still have ten gallons to go through. I am in college. I have friends.

I have something wrong with me.

I have wanted to brew another beer for early spring for a while now and have had several ideas floating around in my head. Fruit beers have interested me. Chili beers too. But -- nah. I want to try something crazy.

What is crazier than tequila?

That's right I want to do a tequila beer. A beer with all the hoppy goodness you would expect from a glass of foamy frothy goodness and then a firm smack in the face from the agave angel herself.

Brewing beer is an experiment each and every time. I have brewed the same recipe, aged the same amount of time and still come out with drastically different flavor profiles. I think each batch of beer represents a really unique opportunity to learn something new and grow as a brewer. I am friends with brewers for production breweries and they learn something new everyday about an art and science that has been around for thousands of years.

My recipe is from a kit-- so not my own creation. It is from a company called northern brewer.

O.G: 1.074      READY: 6 WEEKS
SPECIALTY GRAIN
- 3/4 lb English Dark Crystal
FERMENTABLES
- 3.15 lbs Gold malt syrup (60 min)
- 1 lb Corn Sugar (60 min)
- 6 lbs Gold malt syrup late addition (15 min)
HOPS & FLAVORINGS
- 1 oz Warrior (60 min)
- 1 oz Mosaic (20 min)
- 2 oz Mosaic (10 min)
DRY HOPS
- 2 oz Mosaic
YEAST OPTIONS
- Liquid yeast Option: Wyeast #1056 American Ale. Optimum
temperature: 60–72°F
- Liquid yeast Option: White Labs WLP001 California Ale.
Optimum temperature: 68–73°F

No comments:

Post a Comment