Sunday, February 2, 2014

Doodle Dawdlin'

The "S" that I chose to dwell upon while making my marks was "synchronicity". I re-watched the video on doodling, wanting to reconnect with our class lecture on our egg projects and the topics we talked about. I thought it was interesting what happened.

I was watching the show on Netflix "Idiot Abroad" with my lady friend. Something occurred to me that hadn't before -- Beth Lykins is the polar opposite of Karl Pilkington (the main character of the "travel show"). If Karl is a character construction from Ricky Gervais and his producers then that man is a fucking genius. Karl is a completely sheltered, unambitious, and self-absorbed individual who is absolutely terrified of the outside world. He hates being in the outdoors, or being surrounded by people, or really just being in a situation that puts him into an experience that he has never had before.

To remember this thought, I wrote "Plikington" on my paper. Don't know if words are allowed in a doodle -- don't care because its mine.

This was not a typo. I wrote "Plikington". I have had a sneaking suspicion that I am dyslexic for a very long time. I was kicked out of my advanced classes I was assigned to when I was in elementary school because I had the hardest time deciding between what was a "b" and what was a "d". It was a struggle and I wrote that on my doodle too.

Which is an interesting transition because during that time I used to think that doodling was possibly the worst thing I could have done with my time in grade school. I used to think that the kids who were reprimanded for it simply didn't care which was a travesty in my mind. I did well in school. I guess I just didn't know that other people learned in different ways.

This video was interesting because it showed me that people who doodle or let their mind wander are in fact engaging MORE of their brain than others. I like being engaged. But doodling doesn't seem like the answer. I want to connect with the instructor and let them know that I am engaged so this was a difficult concept for me to wrap my mind around because I feel that I am dividing my attention between what I am "selfishly" working on (mah doodlez) and the ideas the teacher is trying to convey.

I really wanted to write some more "synchronous" ideas for this, but this is what I discovered about my doodling.


No comments:

Post a Comment