Thursday, April 17, 2014

Fear The Fear

I was way more nervous to interact with people than I think I realized. After my initial plan to shoot and interview inside the hotel failed, I was forced to think on my feet and come up with a plan. I walked and drove around French Lick and West Baden until I saw a promising location and went in for the kill. I never got anybody to do a traditional interview like I had envisioned on the way down. People seemed really put off by the fact that I had a camera. The managers who I talked to were generally quite antsy to get me out of the building.

I initially stopped at the West Baden hotel. I did not bring any of my camera equipment in with me and proceeded to try to find the front desk. I really wanted to save the reaction shot of the dome for when I had better equipment, but unfortunately a shitty video on my phone will have to do. I tried to make it look like I wasn’t filming, but I think I just walked through the huge space looking like a bit of a schmuck, mouth agape, staff and patrons curious about my sanity.

The ladies I talked to at the front desk were curious about what I was filming and I tried to play up my student status to get their sympathy or some information. They passed me onto their marketing director Diane Duncan. I had to call Diane to see if I needed a $50 press pass to shoot inside the building and on the grounds since the hotel and grounds are “copyrighted”. I am going to have to check with my Tech and the Law professor Bryan Redding on that…  Oh, and since it was a Friday at 3 pm. Diane was unavailable.  So, no shots inside the hotel, instead I snuck one as I walked away. The building and dome were absolutely beautiful, but those images will just have to exist in my mind.

I learned that French Lick and West Baden are essentially smashed together and separated by a railway. This railway was now a museum and where I decided to go after being turned down from the Hotel to regroup and determine a new plan. There was not much going on there. Apparently Ben had been there before… I almost abandoned the project entirely at this point but at risk of looking like the idiot l was in the dome, I soldiered on into French Lick.

In French Lick I first found Steve at Whites Service convenience store who didn’t have time for an interview, even though it looked like he had time for everything else imaginable. He recommended I go “over there” when I asked about potential interview candidates. I thanked him for his time and promptly left. “Maybe I should abandon the project?” “People do not seem to want me here” were some of the thoughts pouring through my mind at that point.

Walking away from Whites, I snapped a few pictures of French Lick. It seemed like a town that was a combination of an up-and-coming suburb and a small town. It was a weird, off-putting feeling and anybody who I walked by looked like they did not want to interact with a stranger who carried a camera. This was when I was the most nervous. I was in a foreign town. I had a lot of expensive camera equipment with me. There were some rough looking folks walking around. I was alone. Surveying the town by car sounded like a better idea and was what I decided to do.

I drove around town for a little bit. Actually a lot. I was actually nervous that I would be stopped because I was essentially circling the town trying to decide the best location for an interview. The winery was the best choice and I stopped for a look.

The most receptive person to my insistence on an interview was Nicole at the Winery but I think it was only because I conned her into an ‘interview’ through a wine tasting. Only one blurry image of her exists. Aaron was quite more knowledgeable about wine than Nichole was, so he helped me through the tougher questions I had.  The manager Laura requested that I run any pictures of the winery by her and her team before I made them public. I did not take anymore pictures after that.

Driving out of West Baden/FL I felt like I had quasi-accomplished something. I had an experience in the way that some people, like me, look back on high school and say “it was an experience”. I do not know if it was positive or negative, and honestly, it was a lot of the negative. But I did learn to take on my own challenges and to tell a (hopefully) compelling story.


No comments:

Post a Comment