Monday, March 24, 2014

Takeaway 9

I am writing this as I just finished kegging the tequila beer I mentioned as a part of my previous assignment. Oh man, this is going to be tasty!

Anyway, today was a really great way to start off the week and welcome a renewal of energy toward getting things accomplished. It seems the end of another semester is in sight... didn't we just start last week?

One of the most powerful things brought up in class a couple times was the quality of the things and people around us as opposed to the quantity. Something that I have learned is that everything in our lives requires constant attention and maintenance, otherwise it will come into a state of disrepair.

Or in a more streamlined version "everything around us is in a constant state of entropy".

Entropy - lack of order or predictability; gradual decline into disorder

The things we choose to not take care of will gradually fall apart. This is true of all things. Relationships. Cars. Pets. Roads. Guitar skills. I could go on but I think you get the picture...

Another thing brought up today was a surprising lack of people who knew who they were. Now, that is not to say that I am the most confident person in who I am. But I feel like I have a pretty good grasp on the previous experiences that have shaped me into who I want to be.

I know who I want to be, but ultimately its the future that makes me nervous.

Maybe that was the point of the exercise; to challenge us to look into the crystal ball of the future and see the kind of people we wanted to become? Or maybe it was to take stock of all the experiences we have had and try to make sense of them all and amalgamate them into a singular person to better understand ourselves?

Man, I don't know if I will ever understand existentialism...

No comments:

Post a Comment